Thursday 26 April 2012

The Grief Monster


No one ever tells you how grief affects every minute of everyday.  Even in the moments when you’re not lying in a puddle of tears on the bathroom floor, when you seem to be functioning as normal, it’s there.  It permeates the mundane and it clouds the brain in a way that’s hard to understand if you’ve never experienced it.  It’s as though my brain is constantly full to the brim.  Thoughts of P are either flooding in, memories playing on in my imagination like a film; or I am desperately attempting to fill my mind with other things in order to push out the constant aching, longing, heart wrenching thoughts that repeatedly play like a broken record.  It’s as though grief is this big hairy monster lurking behind me and I keep trying to run away from it, hide from it, smile in its face or scare it off with my laugh.  But nothing works. So I attempt to drown it out with NOISE.  The noise of the TV, the radio, sounds from a busy city, cafĂ© or gym....

I have become overwhelmingly afraid of silence.  So much so that when any well-meaning person suggests that meditating might do me some good I become enraged.  ‘I don’t want silence! I can’t handle silence!’ and I feel myself tip dangerously close to a panic attack at the thought.  Even as I write this I have the TV on quietly.  Just loud enough to stop myself from engaging with my thoughts, but quiet enough to hear myself think.

This existence is frustrating though.  It stops me from being able to focus fully and I find myself making stupid, careless mistakes.  Like the other night, when I selected my on-line grocery order to arrive tonight.  I am going out of town tomorrow.  And I forgot to take off some of the items I had already managed to pick up in town.  So I will not only have one pack of baby plum tomatoes slowly going out of date, I will have TWO.  Not the end of the world, I hear you say.  And I hear P say ‘you used to make many more big mistakes when I was around’ (I routinely booked the wrong train home when we first started dating).  These little mistakes used to send me into a flood of tears in the early days, when I first began to realise that P was no longer around to fix my problems.  Now it surprises me.  I’m so busy running from the Grief Monster that everyday things catch me off guard, like being thumped over the head with a bat.  No matter how much I try to cram my brain full of other thoughts, grief will find a way to manifest itself somehow.  

What frustrates me most of all is that I have this desperate desire to change my life, to make something of myself, to make P proud.  But the Grief Monster seems to be holding me down, and I can’t seem to figure out how to move, how to make things happen.  It takes me hours to get out of the house and ages to make decisions.  After the sky dive I felt like I could do anything I wanted, but what do I want?  My brain is so full I can’t seem to hear my heart.  Or perhaps all my heart wants is P so it’s pretty hard to hear anything else.  

Whatever the answer may be, this week I am going to try to endure the silence a bit more.  That said, I’m turning the TV off now.  Or… in an hour or so….

No comments:

Post a Comment