Thursday 21 February 2013

Loving the La-La Life



I was not expecting to love LA.  Hell, I wasn't even expecting to LIKE it.  I was just hoping for some nice weather and a chance to catch up with a few friends.  I guess I also hoped my assumptions might be wrong.  You see, I originally booked this trip with the intention of scoping out potential cities which might tempt me back to the US.  This was before I realised that the US only offers 2-3 weeks holiday a year to most employees...and before I decided in my heart that the UK was where my future laid.

And yet.  I have found myself tempted by the allure of the LA life.  I keep having to remind myself that this is a holiday.  This is not reality.  Sure it's wonderful when you get to spend your days aimlessly driving about the city, gawking at stunningly beautiful houses, admiring the picturesque mountains, and spending time with friends.  But would I love it just as much if I tried to make it as an actor in this daunting city?  Would I enjoy it as much when struggling navigate the dense traffic in order to make it to work on time?  And making friends in LA seems impossible; if you're an American, adrift in a sea of struggling actors, in a town where few frequent bars due to the inevitable need to drive home.  The Brits here, on the other hand, seem to find a ready-made group of friends in the Brits in LA group.  I was honoured to be welcomed by the attendees at the Brits Breakfast on Tuesday, as I accompanied my British friend.  They were a very kind and friendly bunch.  Although, it appeared to primarily function as a networking event, it was clear they were also a very supportive group of individuals.  And I found myself wishing that I could join the group, as at times, I feel more at ease in a group of Brits than almost my fellow American.

After a light breakfast, we sought out Crumbs Bakery for their vast selection of tantalising cupcakes.  I had a thin mint chocolate cupcake, with mint icing and a chocolate ganache.  It wasn't the best cake I'd ever had, but the flavour was delightfully nostalgic.  (Thin mints were always my favourite Girl Scout cookie growing up.)  Then after a few hours of searching for a rental car for me, we hopped in the car and took a short jaunt to Santa Barbara.  What a beautiful little suburb.  I wish we'd gone down to the water but it was an unseasonably cold evening and none of us were properly dressed for the weather.  So after a healthy dinner at True Food Kitchen (this city is heaven for a wheat-intolerant, lactose-intolerant girl who enjoys vegetarian food), we watched a film at an older cinema.  I miss the days before multiplexes.  When cinemas only housed a few screens, and you could chat at length with the cinema workers about films......Anyways....Life of Pi in 3D was incredible.  Truly beautiful.

Today was a day of exploration.  I managed to get fairly close to the Hollywood sign on my own, manoeuvring the narrow, windy, incredibly hilly roads with...ease?  No, no, whilst holding my breath, and praying I didn't go rolling down the hill into another car (automatic cars are hard to drive on hills!). And then a good friend took me on a fantastic tour of the Hollywood Hills, pointing out great views and telling me all about LA (and frankly selling the city fantastically well).  Then we had lunch at a cafe popular amongst celebrities (Billy Zane was there today!) - M Cafe in Melrose.  OUTSTANDING food.  At a reasonable price as well.  Gluten free vegetarian wrap?  With a kale salad?  Yum.

Today was rounded off perfectly with a stand up gig by Russell Brand at Largo.  He was amazing.  I was never really a Russell Brand fan but for $25 I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  And boy am I glad I went.  He was hilarious and philosophical.  He spoke about spirituality and yet he brought humour to it.  He made me think and he made me laugh.  And then he hugged me afterwards.  I couldn't have asked for more.  Followed by a late late dinner at In n' Out Burger.  It felt like a proper 'LA' night.  And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment