Monday 16 July 2012

Come On Rise UP!


Last night was a night I will never forget. Watching the Boss - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform live was an experience I never realised was a bucket list kinda thing until I was there, doing it...my bucket list now reads 'See Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band perform live, again'.  Since 21 October 2011 I've struggled to REALLY enjoy nights out, experiences, and life in general.  I've kept busy, but I remember saying a month ago that the only reprieve I had honestly felt since that day was when I was flying through the air at 120 mph.         

Why was this concert special?  Where do I start?
Perhaps where Bruce started - with 'My City of Ruins'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm1Yyx2-wlI
(This link is from the Apollo and like a true artist it's not like last night, but it's as close as I can get you)

Only 2 songs in, and he was playing my song.  
Here's the thing. I was not a BIG Bruce Springsteen fan until last night.  He was my Dad's favourite. I knew his voice because frankly, my Dad refused to allow me to cultivate my own musical taste at a young age.  I was forced to listen to the greats like the Boss, Bob Dylan, and Van Morrison.  I did NOT appreciate it at the time.  
But, when 9/11 happened, I was rocked to the core.  I didn't know anyone who was directly affected by the catastrophe, but living in New York was my dream, and at the time, I felt my dream destination's heart break acutely.  'My City of Ruins' was one of the anthems of that time.  So of course, it held a special place in my heart.  It had been years since I last belted out these words and I was not expecting his heartfelt, impromptu interlude....

In June 2011 Bruce’s long time saxophonist, Clarence Clemmons, passed away.  It was clear that playing in Hyde Park together was a memorable moment for Bruce and he chose this song to share that with us.  He bonded the audience together, saying ‘Are you missing someone?’ over and over in his sing-song voice….I turned around to my friend and said ‘Are you serious?’
And he played on…
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
Now's there's tears on the pillow
Darlin' where we slept
And you took my heart when you left
Without your sweet kiss
My soul is lost, my friend
Tell me how do I begin again?
My city's in ruins

Yep, with my friend, his brother and his friends standing by, I lost it.  But then the chorus came in
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
And he said to us ‘The ones we’re missing?…they’re here.  Ya know how I know?  I hear them in your voices!’ and I knew….as the sun shone down on us, I felt P standing there, saying ‘it’s ok – enjoy tonight, I’m with you, enjoying it too’….

So come on, rise up! All those people you’re missing?  They’re with us.  Enjoying every moment, right by your side.  We are strong.  We just need to lean on our loved ones on the other side from time to time.  They are with us, in our hearts, in our voices, in our actions, and in our dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment