Saturday 6 October 2012

Facebook Obsession

Do you ever wonder about the people who are CONSTANTLY posting every single detail of their lives?  Admit it, you've probably thought once or twice 'why does he/she honestly think we care to know that they're going to work, or eating dinner, or going for a wee?! Too much BORING info!'

Ok, I'll admit it.  I've thought it.  And while we're at it, I HATE bump photos.  Sorry ladies, but I just do not care.  Whew, needed to get that off my chest.  BUT I will also admit that I am one of those.....one those who shares virtually every detail of her life.  Hell, I'm doin' it right now!  But...did you ever stop to ask yourself WHY these people share mundane details?  While he/she is seemingly always 'liking' a post, commenting on a status, or updating his/her friends via their status?

I've always been a bit addicted to Facebook.  Especially since moving across the pond - it just seemed like an easier way of keeping people updated on my life and therefore, vaguely 'staying in touch' with people without the real effort.  Not proud of this, by the way, just my lazy approach to life, I guess.

But after losing P, I suddenly found myself looking at my phone a lot with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I had become sooooo attached, so accustomed to texting him my every thought that I suddenly did not know who to share my daily experiences with.  We are built as a communicative species.  We naturally are always looking to bond with other like-minded individuals and we primarily do that through talking (or texting nowadays) - basically through sharing the details of our day-to-day lives.  So when you lose your soundboard, the one who listened to you drivel on about meaningless moments, who do you turn to?  Somehow, in this technological age, life doesn't feel real until you share it via text with someone else.  OR in my case, share it via Facebook, or Instagram, or....(dare I go there? dare I join?!)....Twitter.

During this past year, I also felt a distinct responsibility to let my many friends and family members, across the globe, know that I'm OK, I'm surviving, and I'm still alive.  So I did so, via Facebook.  I have become one of those who shares CONSTANTLY.  Maybe I always was?  But I'm much more conscious of it now.  But who cares!  I know I have numerous REAL friends.  And it keeps me sane.  I used to spend my time speaking with P, texting him, dreaming of our future together.  And now?  Now, I share with you - my lovely readers and I bombard my Facebook friends with mundane tales.  And I'm OK with that.  For now.  Until I join Twitter that is ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment